- The team grow to be able to do all that I do, but without me.
- I can focus on higher-level goals.
It then goes on to list these seasons/steps (as modelled by a great leader 2000 years ago):
- State a clear vision.
- Adopt a "I do, you watch" approach ...
- Followed by "I do, you help" ...
- Followed by "You do, I help" ...
- Followed by "You do, I watch".
Leadership = Vision + Empowerment
A useful exercise is to consider what a team would feel like to be in if either Vision or Empowerment is Low or High, e.g.
- Low vision + low empowerment = dead
- High vision + low empowerment = burnt-out
- Low vision + high empowerment = cosy
- High vision + high empowerment = dynamic